In all my 23 V-Days, I have never celebrated this holiday with a romantic partner. Although unable to participate in what some people consider Valentines day’s purpose, regardless, this has always been one of my favorite days of the year since as long as I can remember. If for no other reason, simply for the fact that it’s a moment of celebration amidst the post New Years, mid-winter slump. A moment to celebrate love, the best feeling and the highest vibration. Without further ado, here are 8 reasons why I f*ckn love valentines day.
1. It’s a great time to celebrate, or start a new tradition. From the time I was little, my mom always made a huge deal out of V-Day. She would get all excited and make a super fancy love themed lobster dinner and give my brother, my dad and I each a really special gift. My mother is responsible for my continued positive association and excitement with this holiday, but even if you didn’t have a tradition growing up, start one this year! Make V-Day a day to do something out of the ordinary and make it a tradition to do something that gets you really happy and excited! You deserve it.
2. Whether you’re single or not, it’s an amazing time to treat yourself! Maybe with a fashion investment, some sexy lingerie, a delicious meal, or just a yummy box of chocolates, a glass of wine and a good movie. Whether you spend this holiday by yourself, with a friend, or with a lover, today should be all about feeling good, feeling sexy and being extra kind to yourself. Dedicate today to loving yourself. Because when you love yourself, you love your partner better, too.
3. This day is dedicated to LOVE. The highest frequency at which a human can vibrate is when they’re engaged with, and experiencing feelings of love. Weather it be romantic love, self love, familial love, friendship love— this is the fastest way to feel happy and ensure you attract good things into your life today and the days following.
4. Today is a good day to check in with your romantic status and decide if you’re happy with it. It’s an opportunity to evaluate and initiate change. W/all this talk of romantic love, how can you not check in? Personally—I’m not seeing anyone special right now, but am working overtime to prepare myself for when that special person’s energy enters my life. I’m super happy single— it’s not something I would give up easily, or for just anyone. But that doesn’t mean I’m not also super excited to meet the person that DOES make me wanna give up my single status! And I think that should be every single person’s mindset :) If you’re in a relationship, are you happy with it? Do you see yourself with this person long-term? Why, or why not? Does your partner help you grow & be your best version? Do you help them grow & be their best version? Take a moment today to really ask yourself this stuff. If you find you don’t like some of your answers today, make a change tomorrow. In a good relationship, you can achieve growth twice as much as you would on your own, but in a bad one, you may only grow half as much...I made that up, but who feels me??
5. Valentines day is a dope opportunity to hit up everyone in your life and tell them how much you love them and how grateful you are for them. Let’s face it y’all, this holiday is about way more than romantic love. Let’s embrace that and start acting like it!
6. Girl love, y’all! Use today to celebrate the women of the world, and in your life! Call ya sister, your cousin, your mama, your auntie, your grandma, your best friends, your woman. Celebrate women of color, white women, gay women, trans women, old women, young women. Without us, nobody would go our of their way to make a big deal out of this day. We do the most, and that’s a huge virtue of our essence!
7. It’s a time to really celebrate being single! Being single is such a glorious adventure of being independent, being free, and filling up your own cup. Being single isn’t glorified nearly as much as it should be! Nobody ever congratulates you for being single, because maybe they don’t see it as a feat that you’re dominating the world all by yourself. Well I’m here to tell you CONGRATULATIONS! I’m so proud of you for dedicating your life to you, and only you. It’s one of the bravest things you can do with your life, and in many ways is much harder than being in a relationship. Being in full-time committed relationship with yourself is a lot of work weather you have a significant other or not, but if not, you’ve made space for any and everything your heart, and yours alone desires. If you are single and not super psyched about it, just know that it is 100% possible to be as psyched to be on your own as it is to be psyched about finding your soul mate. Sometimes I feel so happy just being by myself I fear it can’t get any better than this. I hope you feel that way too this V-Day.
All my love,